The R1 Pack – version 0.1

Sometimes ago, I decided I wanted to have a go at making my own pack which, with a nod to the great Glenn Van Peski of Gossamer Gear, I am grandly called the R1!

A lot of the inspiration came from a video I watched on Scott and Genevieve’s YouTube channel.

Having bought some frame components from zPacks, I set about making a prototype in Tyvek cloth. This worked out quite well, but I was not happy with the frame system, which seemed too flimsy for my purposes.

To this end I have started on a second prototype which will have an internal frame. Really looking forward to seeing how this one works out!


Devon High Point

Despite having lived in Devon for over 15 years now, I have never taken a trip to the county’s high point, so that was today’s mission – a walk from Meldon Reservoir to Yes Tor and High Wilhays the highest point in Devon.

A great little walk and a good work out the for the legs.

A ridgeline amble

Two week ago, I took my daughter and her Panda on their first microadventure on Dartmoor.

Two years previously, we complete our first family microadventure, whcih took place a year before that the first Dad and Lad microadventure complete with light-sabre!


Last weekend, was my chance to visit some of the places we’d used for these outings during a very pleasant ridge line amble about some of Dartmoor’s northern Tors.

Following the path where we camped for our family microadventure two years ago, I made my way along the ridge over Belstone Common.


Past the site of the first Dad and Lad microadventure.

Next, I stopped at Oak Tor to cook a meal, a delicious homemade concoction of cous-cous and polenta, flavoured with a spiced olive oil. Something to savour in the sunshine, in complete contrast to my last visit to this tour during a mid-winter trip in December, three years ago, when the overnight the temperature dropped to -8 degrees C.

After, I continued my way south, I collected water from gorge, which i managed to cross keeping my feet dry, before climbing Sterpton Tor, making camp just as the sun set spectacularly to the South.

The moon that night was spectaculalry full, but sadly few stars could be seen because of the cloud, nevertheless,by morning, The sun rose next morning just after 4am and I was up not long after.

Dropping down into the valley, I crossed eh rover by the ruins of the old tinner’s hut before climbing up to Hound Tor and Cosdon Hill, then heading back to the car a Belstone.

A lovely quick and rewarding trip.

The Elephant’s Foot

After our last microadventure, with two of us in a tarp designed for one, the foot box of my sleeping bag got damping. To address this, I have added yet another job to my list of MYOG projects. I am calling it the “Elephant’s Foot”.

This will be a simple bag like creation, made form a WPB fabric, that will slide over the foot-box of my sleeping bag, tube . I think I will bind the open hem in elastic to help it stay in place.

It remains to be seen if this would work. I do wonder if a condensation on the inside of the Elephant’s Foot might wet the sleeping bag’s foot box, but there’s only one way to find out!